Groupon Earring "Deal" Looks Like False Advertising


 WARNING! Groupon deals may not always be as good as they seem! 

On May 18 a Groupon ad appeared on a Facebook page I was visiting for a pair of 14K Solid Gold French Lock Hoop Earrings at an extreme discount of about 80% off the normal $200 price making the beautiful earrings shown only $24.95. Wow! $200-something earrings for only $24.95??? I couldn't sign up fast enough so I became a Groupon customer on the spot just to get the earrings.

The earrings were 12mm which I assumed was diameter from the picture where the French lock shown was proportionately smaller than the rest of the earring.

When I received the envelope from Groupon, I thought it was empty. I couldn't feel any lump or bump at all. I tore it open expecting to find nothing and shook the empty package just to make sure... and a tiny pair of earrings fell out, about the size of my pinkie fingernail.

Doll-Sized Earrings

Looking at the tiny earrings in my hand, I couldn't help but think the miniature pair would be more suited for a doll than a human so I tried them on a 14" Moxie Teenz doll. They are a perfect fit!  

Perhaps these earrings do measure 12mm from end to end including the lock, but this is not what was shown in the picture.

I brought the original Groupon photo back up on my computer and took a photograph of one of my earrings suspended right next to the original photos for proportion and comparison. See any difference??? Notice how proportionate the lock mechanism is in the original and how it dominates the tiny, itty-bitty earring I got. Look at the diameter of the earring body in comparison to the lock.

Did they take the original photo under a microscope? I had to wonder how they captured the gleaming curves and thickness of the gold without some kind of lens enhancement, but nothing explains why the two earrings look so different except this. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME EARRINGS.

I would have done better skipping the "reduced value" hype and buying these 14 karat gold hoop earrings from Amazon for $25 or $30.


It appears to be false advertising or bait and switch on the part of Groupon to replace the beautiful $200 earrings advertised in the photo with the tiny pair dominated by the lock mechanism they sold for the "reduced" price of $24.95. The earrings I received were NEVER worth anywhere near $200 as the ad claimed. NOT EVER.

To add insult to injury, I was not able to get the Groupon "Help Wizard" to work to contact Groupon, so I spent 1/2 hour in a chat session with "Jade" who kept telling me to hold on for a couple of minutes while she researched my order. After a wasted 1/2 hour, I got tired of the run around and ended the chat session. I haven't felt this much like a sucker since the Snapple incident!

Groupon, you are going to have to do better than this. Your deal was a rip off and your customer service stinks. Instead of playing with "Banana Bunkers" and selling condoms with holes,  perhaps it is time to focus on quality products and customer service again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choking on Honey: What to Do

Birthdays Of Christian Artists - Month By Month List of Gospel Music Birthdays

'Naked and Afraid XL' and Mean Girl Cliques