Remembering George Beverly Shea, dead at 104

"Bev was one of the most humble, gracious men I have ever known and one of my closest friends," Billy Graham said in a statement released by the BGEA about the death of George Beverly Shea. "I loved him as a brother. My prayer for his wife, Karlene, and his children, Ron and Elaine, is that God will strengthen them during this time."
 Renowned gospel soloist George Beverly Shea died April 16, 2013 following a brief illness. His death was tucked between taxes and the Boston Marathon Attack, so I didn't get the opportunity to give Shea's passing the coverage it deserved.
"I first met Bev Shea while in Chicago when he was on Moody Radio," Billy Graham said in a statement. "As a young man starting my ministry, I asked Bev if he would join me. He said yes and for over 60 years we had the privilege of ministering together across the country and around the world."


 I wrote this article when he celebrated his 100th birthday Monday night, February 1, 2009. I am posting the link in memory of Shea, for a life well-lived.

Legendary Gospel Soloist George Beverly Shea Celebrates 100th Birthday

George Beverly Shea was born February 1, 1909, in Winchester, Ontario, Canada. Shea was the son of a Wesleyan Methodist Church minister. He first sang for Billy Graham in 1943 on the Chicago radio hymn program, "Songs in the Night."

Find out more at: Legendary Gospel Soloist George Beverly Shea Celebrates 100th Birthday - Yahoo! Voices 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choking on Honey: What to Do

Birthdays Of Christian Artists - Month By Month List of Gospel Music Birthdays

'Naked and Afraid XL' and Mean Girl Cliques