Favorite Christmas songs of gospel artists and entertainers; favorite holiday songs and carols

The intro to this piece really says it all - I do love Christmas music and had a lot of fun putting this list together. I thought I would share some of my personal favorite Christmas songs to introduce this piece and tell why each is important to me.

"O, Come All Ye Faithful" - This was one of the few fond memories my mother ever shared with me of my childhood, and she brought it up several times over the years. Apparently when I was a tiny preschooler, I had a solo in a church Christmas program, and I boldly and loudly sang "O, Come All Ye Facefull" from the stage. But I always think of my mother when hear this song.

Another Christmas song that reminds me of my mother is "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas." She never sang around the house, but as Christmas approached, decorations, Christmas trees, lights and snow could on rare occasion elicit a line or two, sometimes sung, sometimes just hummed. I don't remember her singing any other songs when I was growing up.

"Do You Hear What I Hear?" I actually remember the first time I heard this song on the radio, as a very young child living in Falls Church Virginia. I was transfixed. It was the first time I had ever heard a brand-new Christmas carol on the radio. This one was about a young child like me, and I fell in love with it instantly.

"O, Holy Night" - I think this may be the prettiest Christmas song ever written. Its soaring melody and the reminder of what a holy, divine night the birth of Christ was makes it one of my favorite songs.

I could go on! In elementary school, we learned to sing "Silent Night" in German. My high school chorus performed the "Hallelujah Chorus," and the altos had to sing alto, tenor and soprano whenever the lines didn't overlap. Sandi Patty's "Merry Christmas with Love" came out at a time when I was feeling particularly cut off from family and friends...

Christmas music is beautiful for the lyrics and melodies, and the memories they evoke. I do love Christmas carols!

Favorite Christmas songs of gospel artists and entertainers: favorite holiday songs and carols
Thursday, December 10th, 2009
I don't know about everyone else, but I have been busy decking the halls and playing my favorite Christmas music! I love Christmas carols, and am pleased to present the favorite Christmas songs of some of your favorite Christian artists and entertainers...
Keep Reading »

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choking on Honey: What to Do

Birthdays Of Christian Artists - Month By Month List of Gospel Music Birthdays

'Naked and Afraid XL' and Mean Girl Cliques